All you need to know about the Festival of Lights of the Gods – Dev Diwali in Varanasi
In many parts of India such as Maharashtra, Gujrat, and other northern states, Dev Diwali is celebrated with great fervour and enthusiasm. However, the real flavour of Dev Diwali can be seen only in Varanasi,Uttar Pradesh. Many people from all over India and abroad travel to Varanasi to witness the celebration. It is known as the “festival of lights of the Gods” and “Tripurotsav”.
This post contains vital information on all that you need to know about this festival. Continue reading to know more:
Why is Dev Diwali Celebrated?
Lord Shiva defeated Tripurasur, a demon, and Dev Diwali is celebrated in honour of their victory. It is said to be the Deepawali of the Gods. It is believed that the Hindu Gods and Goddesses take bath in Ganga on this occasion every year.
On Dev Diwali, martyrs are also remembered and honoured. The sacrifices that they make for the safety of their people and honour of their country by giving up their lives are also acknowledged.
When is Dev Diwali Celebrated?
Dev Diwali is celebrated in Kartik – a Hindu month. After 15 days of Diwali celebration, on the full moon day, this event takes places and is celebrated with splendour and grandeur. As per the Gregorian calendar, it falls in the month of November-December.
Dev Diwali festival dates between 2021 & 2025
|2021||Thursday, 18th of November|
|2022||Monday, 7th of November|
|2023||Sunday, 26th of November|
|2024||Friday, 15th of November|
|2025||Wednesday, 5th of November|
Check our tour with Varanasi : Golden Triangle with Varanasi
How is Dev Diwali Celebrated?
As stated above, this occasion is celebrated with great pomp. Every year, a huge number of people, not only from India but from abroad, travel to the small town of Varanasi and witness this exhilarating experience. No matter which part of India you are coming from, you can easily find a travel package for Varanasi as per your convenience and enjoy the spectacular sights of this place during the celebratory times.
The celebration of Dev Diwali begins with holy Vedic mantras that are chanted by the priests. Thousands of diyas are lighted at the ghats of River Ganga and firecrackers are lit across the Varanasi. The glistening crackers and beautiful diyas make for a wonderful and mesmerizing sight. All this is done to welcome the Gods and Goddesses.
It was the year 1985 when this ritual of lighting diyas on this occasion of Dev Diwali was introduced. The diyas were lighted on Panchganga Ghat and since then, they have become a vital part of the celebration that compels a huge number of people to travel to Varanasi.
For honouring the martyrs, wreaths are offered. Patriotic songs and bhajans are sung and the three armed forces perform the traditional last post.
What are the Rituals followed on Dev Diwali?
The rituals that are followed on Dev Diwali are:
- Every ghat of Ganga is lighted with diyas upon sighting the moon.
- The devotees, on the day of Dev Diwali, take a dip in the Ganga early in the morning. This ritual is known as Kartik snan.
- In the honour of Goddess Ganga, ‘deepdan’, a ritual in which oil lamps are offered, is performed.
- After ‘deepdan’ ‘Ganga aarti’ is performed with full devotion and passion. 24 Brahmin priests and an equal number of girls perform this ritual.
- People celebrate their homes with oil lamps and rangolis. Bhogs are offered and Akhand Ramayana is organized to celebrate this event with fervour.
- At the end of the day, you can witness the stunning deities in the stress of Varanasi. Numerous cultural programs and dance performances are enjoyed by the devotees that take place in Varanasi.
If you want to be part of this amazing celebration, get a travel package for Varanasi with us now and book your visit.